Grinity, thanks for that advice about changing someone's comment on the gift to a validation of character. That's a really good idea.

Yes, my DB and I were competitive growing up (we argued a lot until we were in our late teens). DB was athletic and I was academic, so our competitiveness usually fell on the basketball court in a game of HORSE or something. Or with a video game -- he hated playing me in Tetris because I'd always beat him. He'd usually beat me in everything else.

My parents didn't really do much about it at all, to be honest. It was just understood that DB was the athletic one and I was the "smart" one in school. Not exactly the way I want to raise my kids. My DB is actually a smart guy but had a hard time in early elementary with a few subjects so that he stopped trying throughout the rest of his school career. Kind of sad, really. That's a big reason my DH and I want to make sure our DD gets a good start on her education so that she doesn't have a bad experience that sours her entire outlook on school.

Uh oh.. hungry 2 month old wants a bottle NOW.