Originally Posted by HoosierMommy
One of my biggest challenges with my family is dealing with my brother. He has a daughter the same age who is not GT (at least not from what I've seen), and I sometimes cringe when my DD does something crazy in front of him and his wife, like spell her name, write "hi" or operate a computer. I don't want to my DD to sense that I'm uncomfortable and that she shouldn't be herself around others, though. My DH and I just act like it's no big deal; I don't want anyone to think we're trying to show off or anything. She just does those things on her own, you know.

Was there much competition between you and DB when you were growing up? How did you parent's handle competition?

As far as wanting to hide - welcome to the club! Sylvia Rimm has a lovely bit where when other people make comments - when the others comment on 'gifts' shift it to 'character' - Smile, nod and say: Yes she's so curious, or interested, or persistient.

That way we can validate our children's uniquenesses, and at the same time, shape the children to know we value character traits - the kind that can be developed, not the inborn ones!

Smiles,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com