Originally Posted by mayreeh
Last year, Snoopy's teacher told me that it was important that I realize that he got 99 percentile - not 100 percentile - meaning that there is still some material he can learn at that grade level.

Ooops..... I thought educators had to take some sort of course in statistics so that they could understand difficult concepts like percentile......

Mary

Oh my...that goes under "ridiculous things I heard today" on Hoagies page!

We actually have a meeting set up now! A week from today. And I made it clear that my husband and I want to come in and see the teacher's manuals for the curriculum for 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade, prior to the meeting. So now he is supposed to be checking in to whether all that material is actually in the classrooms or the teachers took it home, yada yada yada.... Whatever. He'll be getting the stuff together and finding a quiet room where we can review it. That's what I wanted.

I haven't gone to observe in the second or third grade classes - partly because there is only one of each level (no choice re: teacher) and partly because we haven't gotten that far. If they flat out refuse to use curriculum based testing to see where he is at and move him forward, then I will likely tell them that we will be homeschooling for math and he will join his class after math is done.

I need to be sure that the principal is on the same page regarding the agenda for this meeting. No surprises or delays in making decision. Last night I typed up my list of proposed solutions - 3 options that we can discuss. I'll be giving that to him ahead of the meeting time, so he and the teachers can review it and we can hit the ground running at this meeting. I'm not in the mood for more "data collection and review" meetings. This one needs to generate solutions.

I was pleased that the teacher did finally have him reading a more appropriate level book (2nd-3rd grade level) and for the first time had him do some writing/comprehension stuff (at least that came home with him). Yea! That's some good stuff. But he still said the book was easy to read and the questions weren't hard. Right now though I need to focus on the math - we can bump reading up later if needed.

Thanks for the encouragement, and the laughs! I'll keep you posted.