Originally Posted by CAMom
Polarbear nailed it as always, but I wanted to add a few things. First off, in our experience it is important to note that working memory related to DCD is not necessarily the same as working memory on the WISC. My DS's working memory score is his highest and because his VCI, WMI and pri are all in the 140s, it is even more difficult for him because his processing speed score is in the 90s and dropping rapidly. His coding raw score hasn't changed in four years, and he essentially writes the same speed and neatness at 11 that he did at 6.

Just wanted to second what CAMom said re working memory - like her ds, my ds scores very high on the WISC WM subtests - but they are very specific task-oriented tests. What's important is to think of working memory (in relation to dysgraphia) as a bucket - there is only so much space, and there are a large # of tasks that have to be held in the bucket while doing work. For a dysgraphic kid, the tasks associated with forming letters are so consuming that there's no room in the bucket to drop in other tasks such as how-to-spell etc.

Also like CAMom, my ds' coding raw score has not increased over time, and his handwriting legibility - which looked great coming out of OT at 8 years old, still looks exactly like it did at 8 - it's neat, and it's legible, but in the meantime while it's stayed looking the same, his neurotypical classmates' handwriting has continuously improved to the point where ds' handwriting stands out as very immature looking now that he's a teen.

[/quote]Also, Polarbear is totally correct- we did OT as well. And while he did learn to cut a steak without flinging it onto the table, and he can now button a shirt, it is slow as molasses and like a new experience every time. If ANY variable changes- different plate, different knife etc- the whole thing hs to start from the beginning.[/quote]

This is true for our ds too - he's learned (slowly) how to do many of the motor tasks that were challenging when he was younger, but they are s-l-o-w, almost like watching a movie in slow motion.

I also wanted to second the recommendation for the CanChild site - there is a lot of useful info out there! I haven't looked at it lately but remember referring to it back when we were first advocating (even though I'm not in Canada :D).

Best wishes,

polarbear