My immediate response is to agree completely with you HowlerKarma, however, I quickly realized my experience with any sorority is zilch and my thought pattern is based completely on fraternities, not sororities, so my thoughts have limited validity on the subject.

Generally speaking, for the gifted students I know, a fraternity / sorority is far too much of a distraction, causes drama, and doesn't contribute toward the ultimate goal of college in any form.

I'd suggest talking with your daughter about the issue and about her preconceived ideas on the topic. Keep in mind though that a desire to participate in rush week doesn't equate necessarily to wanting to be in a sorority. Our eldest DS wanted to participate in rush week as well, he did so and that's when he found out that the Greek system wasn't something he wanted a part of. Perhaps the wise thing her to do is let her participate in rush week and talk with her at length about her experience doing so.

I think the majority of incoming students want to experience rush week, if for no other reason that to meet people and most people want to be wanted by "popular" college groups. That doesn't mean though that they'll sign up on a long term basis for it.

I think it's important to discuss what groups with positive focus are available on campus, there are a lot of them and I'm certain that numerous cater to her particular passions. She's looking to expand her world, no doubt she's been ready for that for many years, help her to do so wisely. She may be going off to college, however, that doesn't mean we stop being parents that help to guide wise decision making.