Looking for some ideas here.

DD14 has been entertaining the idea of participating in Rush Week next summer when she is (barely) 15yo.

Now, I don't really know if she'll even be permitted to do so, number one, and number two, DH and I both have some very, very serious reservations about the Greek system which are based in our first-hand observations over some forty years (and at no less than five public institutions, ranging from 10% to 95% Greek).

I personally think that the Greek system is bad, bad news-- and probably even WORSE news for a very young college student like my DD.

I can't think that she'd actually like it anyway, and she certainly would have a great deal of trouble living in a sorority house given her hard-core food restrictions and her age (um, six YEARS 'underage' for alcohol, and a solid three years for 'age of consent' in our state).

So I'm not sure that I see the point of all of it, either way.

But I am willing to be convinced if others here see a value in sorority life and membership that I'm perhaps missing.

My experience suggests that sorority sisters tend to be clustered around the mean of the institution's scores and ability, and that they tend to (at co-ed institutions) value femininity and sports, but also skew wildly toward "Barbie" culture-- emphasis on physical appearance, conformity with gender norms and view sexuality as worth, etc.

What am I missing?

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.