First of all, using a computer is part of nearly every job nowadays. It is how we communicate and how we express our thoughts. While mediums such as watercolor and calligraphy are beautiful, the practical norm--the fountain pen and manila paper of the 21st century so to speak, or the typewriter and post office--is a net-connected computer.

For this reason both of my children learn appropriate skills.

That said we also have no screen time, other than typing school projects, on school days, and it's limited on weekends.

But they both know how to use a menu, a mouse, a touch pad, how to save a document and retrieve it, how to make a capital letter, and so on. That's important. Those are life skills now.

".I mean why else could a highly intelligent person be so disorganized, constantly be late, have trouble with rote memorization at school"

Lots of people are like that. To me ADD is when you cannot function in life--when you cannot compensate for your procrastination with other tools, when you cannot have a relationship, etc. It's a disorder because it prevents you from functioning, not to your "full potential" (whatever that means) but from making progress towards normal life goals, such as passing 7th grade. That might have been your husband. For me, I was everything you describe, and the main consequence were slightly lower grades than my SAT scores predicted, and lots of late nights due to procrastination.

Imperfection is not a disorder. That's just life. Nobody's good at everything.

Last edited by binip; 03/13/14 01:40 PM.