Lori, I think sometimes we grownups get in the way of the kids. A parent of a mentally handicapped child once told me how much she appreciated my daughter playing with her daughter at a weekend church outing. My daughter is much younger than hers(this has been 20 years ago), but they were at the same stage of development and interests. I didn't know how to interact or respond to mother/daughter, but my daughter did! From that, I just learned to listen more.
I know I don't always say the right things. Sometimes when I see a handicapped person(or someone just different!) in passing I think, "Does that person feel offended and feel like I'm staring if I look at him?", then I wonder, "Does that person feel I'm avoiding if I look away?" It's our own shortcomings that cause issues, too!

I hope you find a real life community where your sons differences are accepted as part of who he is, and his brilliance can shine unhampered.

Last edited by OHGrandma; 06/05/08 07:10 AM. Reason: not sure handicapped is the word I wanted