Last night my son had a three-hour rehearsal for a musical revue performance his group will do at an arts festival this weekend. A cute little gifted girl who is 1 1/2 years younger than my son, who once told my son that she was going to marry him some day, and is usually his dance partner, followed him outside as he was leaving. He was trying to ignore her and when she told him goodbye he didn't say anything. I heard her say "You need to learn some manners!" and he replied "You're right. I don't know anything about "manors," I live in a normal house."

I think her family enjoys word play and they kid around like his at home. Her mom wrote for our local newspaper until she quit her job to homeschool her daughter and I think the dad is a computer engineer. She also wants to try out for the spelling bee next year so she borrowed my son's old spelling bee booklet. So they have a few things in common--but she's a very girlie girl and my son is so not interested. My husband says he didn't become interested in girls until he was about 14.

So it looks like my son even has a girlfriend whether he wants one or not!