I am optimistic that he will find others like him when he goes off to college some day. He doesn't fit in so well right now because he likes to joke about things that other kids don't understand. For example, he will joke about the cause of his sensory integration dysfunction by saying something like "I guess I experienced an unexpected system shut down while configuring my settings and it resulted in a system error." We had told him that we thought his problems had something to do with his birth--his heartbeat stopped on the monitor, the cord was wrapped around his neck, and he had to be delivered with forceps. Only the older gifted kids really get his humor sometimes.

He says he wants to learn design video games and one of his older friends is also interested in this, so yes I think he would fit in.

In addition to his male friends, there are also two girls that like him, both gifted, but they are closer to his age. I intercepted a Wii message from one of them. My son was embarrassed. I didn't realize this started so early. He won't be ten until next month.