One of the things that is actually almost alarming is the rate at which an HG+ kid can learn new concepts. My own DD sometimes is almost alien in this regard. While neuroplasticity is believed to continue throughout one's lifespan, childhood is the maximal period for it and I cannot help thinking that stretching/enriching/exposing as early as possible can only do good. DW and I have skipped our DD but we also recognize the horrible truth that to keep her challenged more skips may be necessary down the road.

Whether or not to skip a child depends on many factors and the academic quality of the school is one of them - even a 'gifted program' may not actually be at all demanding/engaging to a high LOG kid. Many 'gifted programs' are diluted for political reasons, they are crammed with kids that frankly shouldn't be there and ditto for the staff all in the name of anti-elitism. The school is admitting that what they are offering is not enough for your DD at her current grade. Another factor would be how quickly does she make friends? Does she tend to get along better will kids who tend to be older?

If you are on the fence then you should get your child tested for her good and for your sanity - it is so easy to wobble over "should I/shouldn't I?" In the dark. Childhood is not over rated but nor is being a happy and intellectually engaged adult with the confidence to achieve self-actualisation.

Please don't get offended by some of the earlier threads or even this one - we are all here trying to help one another deal with the trials and tribulations of raising a kid to be happy and fully functional adult. For many of us this board is literally our group therapy. laugh

YMMV

Last edited by madeinuk; 10/09/13 04:01 AM.

Become what you are