I seriously do not know. I really don't. I think no-- based upon the fact that her underachievement has historically reflected profound anxiety and depressive symptoms. She doesn't underachieve to be happier-- but as an expression of distress.

I can't really imagine having put my 10-11yo into college classes...

on the other hand, I may regret that given the other things that she's learned instead. frown

If it were a simple matter of being able to "just" skip a grade and-- hey, presto!-- everything suddenly fits forever, then yeah, maybe.

But I can definitely see the point where you realize that your child's trajectory is carrying them to a point where if you DON'T "clip their wings" they'll be gaining about 3-6 mo on chronological peers for every year that passes, well--

that might not look so daunting at 6yo, when it's only a year and a half to two years ahead of them... but by 12yo, that is a different matter entirely, because a kid like that is now 4-7 YEARS ahead of them if they've been developing according to their own needs as a student. Most schools simply don't accommodate that well to begin with, and it's such an unusual developmental trajectory that it's hard to know what the "right" placement is when none of the options is a real "fit" entirely.

I don't think anyone would argue that a PG 12yo "fits" beautifully... anywhere. Not in middle school, not in college, and nowhere in between, either. It is all least-worst at that point.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.