Originally Posted by doubtfulguest
Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
A lot depends on the child's temperment. That's one reason the IAS is so useful.

It's easy for those of us who have done accelerations to look at "PG" and think that it's impossible to keep them in a classroom with neurotypical agemates, but if the child has the right disposition that may not be true. smile

ha - i came here to say just that. my kiddo is nowhere close to PG, but she still can't be in a class with agemates without falling into a severe depression. she needed a triple+ skip this year AND homeschooling - she's just too much of a raging perfectionist/delightful weirdo to be in class with other 5 year olds. i hope this will change as she becomes more sure of who she is and what she likes - but, like everyone else, we're just taking it one year at a time.

i think it's awesome if a PG kid can enjoy school with age-mates AND still be him/herself [b]without[/b] the usual problems. for me, the deciding factor was simply whether or not my kid was actually thriving - and that included a whole range of criteria. mommajay, it sounds like your girl is pretty happy with her friends right now - and if you (and the school) can meet her intellectual needs in other ways, maybe that's just fine. your kid might want more down the line, and i'm sure you'll cross those bridges when you come to them!

all the best!

I think this is crucial.

Of course the OP knows her child best and every situation is unique. But sometimes mommy instincts are skewed. Sometimes I think that we underestimate the extent to which girls are still today socialized to please and fit in. I did not think my daughter was HG, she ended up having DYS scores. Even with that, I was still hesitant to skip her. Thanks to the encouragement of Grinity here and others, we finally pursued a skip and it was clearly the best choice for my daughter.

It may be that not skipping is best for the OP's child. But I think that the cons of not skipping need to be explored fully. And a poor academic fit in elementary school may be more damaging than future hypotheticals re: driving and dating.