Originally Posted by mommajay
... She doesn't complain about school except when I specifically ask if she's bored with the lessons, and then she says yes.

Some have had great success with asking open-ended questions such as a daily conversation over dinner where family members talk about their day... asking what was the best thing that happened in school... what was the worst part of the school day.

... driving was on HER mind when I asked about skipping. She said, "But then my friends will all drive before I can and I might feel bad about myself because I'll feel less capable than them."
Originally this was presented as your concern, resulting in several inquiries about your daughter's preferences. Now hearing of your daughter's reticence to be accelerated brings to mind an often repeated saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I need to have another talk with her principal and see if we can outline a real plan. I may also ask him to let her try a week in a 2nd grade class and see how she feels then.
Has she been tested... test scores and any input/advice from the psych may be helpful components of your advocacy efforts, especially given the history of upheaval you mention.