My husband and I just got back from meeting with the teacher. I'm so disappointed. I kept telling myself that it was going to go well, that we were going to be a team and help DS advance in school, that it must be nice to have a bright kid who is so very eager to learn.

Our goal for the meeting was to just ask what he would be learning in the regular classroom. We referenced his test scores but didn't focus on that. As soon as we mentioned our observations from home, she became defensive and showed us all the opportunities he would have in her classroom.

Then she brought up his behavior problems. He wiggles in group time, is rowdy in the bathroom, etc. She said that his other teachers had also seen this behavior and she hoped it wouldn't interfere with the advanced "opportunities" that were available to him. She has never contacted me about these issues before and school has been in session for a month.

She mentioned that he chose not to do all the enrichment activities provided to him. The example she used was a weather map. He was to forecast the weather by coloring each state on a map, write out the forecast and then add symbols to the map. He didn't add the symbols.

Perhaps no one will read this, but I feel better for having written it.