So then, I'm curious your opinions of the CogAT. If it is testing "learned ability" does that mean that kids who do well on the CogAT will respond well in the type of learning that takes place in a school setting but may not necessarily be gifted? From what I can tell, this test certainly won't identify levels of giftedness. Further testing would be needed for that.

Part of the reason I wanted additional testing is because I'm curious. I was totally taken off guard by the scores on his MAP and CogAT. I knew he was bright, but I underestimated him for sure. Now, I'm thinking, "what else am I missing?"

Honestly, he does well at subject based material, but he's not off the charts on his reading and math levels. I think it's his ability to apply what he's learned in multiple areas quickly and before anyone has instructed him to do so. It's also the depth of the questions he asks once something new has been presented to him. It's almost like an intuitiveness that you can't quite put your finger on. I don't even know if that makes any sense.

I don't have a sense that DS is profoundly gifted but I also have a hunch that the CogAT may not be showing his full potential...which it seems it's not even created to do. Ugh...these tests are giving me a headache. LOL.

You guys have been incredibly helpful. Sorry for all of the questions.