I keep asking why some kids do an hour of afterschool tutoring to "keep up with the Jonses" and go to Yale, and some kids do the same extra hours every day and can't get caught up to grade level. I do understand that there are levels of giftedness. I find it hard to believe that most kids are that dumb that they can't be taught. Kids are sponges. I don't want to disparage but I do want to know the truth. Is it somewhere between extra hours for tutoring if you teach less effectively (two of my family members have mentioned that, not my idea). Teachers are tied to the curriculum and the same guys that sell the textbooks sell the tests. People whose families are teachers have told me the teachers hands are tied as to doing what they're told instead of doing what works. And of course there are levels of cognitive abilities, parental expectations and involvement. It just does not make sense to me that there are first graders who can not read after three years of school and extra hours of afterschool tutoring by professionals when there are video games that get the job done in less time. It makes it confusing to know what is right. Do kids go to school to learn! Don't the books work? Do teachers really have their hands tied, and why? What's wrong with this picture- oh yeah, people don't want to learn and don't want their kids learning anything either. That's not sarcasm, parents really do seem more worried about social development than education at school. They admit to holding their kids back as their opinion of the best choice. I think the majority want the school staff to be social directors more than educators. I'm not sure wether that mindset started from the teachers or the parents, but they seem to agree about it now.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar