Hi, all, we are still considering HS. DH wants him to go to public school (2nd grade, he'll be 7 in July - son not DH, but you gotta wonder about that, too). I think he'll be bored stiff and we'll keep having behaviour issues. Unless we get a terrific teacher and I haven't heard of one. Also, the school does no acceleration, no compacted curriculum"ing", no telescopiing, no subject acceleration, very little differentiation. The vice-principal and counselor have never heard of "A Nation Deceived" or "Iowa Acceleration Scale". They've never had a child skip a grade, although they have had some early entrances to first (K is not required in Texas). We're also looking at, but don't think we can afford, a private school. They want him to take the 2nd grade ITBS and they want to put him in 3rd, which I wouldn't do in the public school due to pressure of the state NCLB exam that is administered that year. I'm sure DS would do fine but it is extremely stressful for the whole school, let alone the 3rd graders. But, the private school has a max class size of 8, so he'd get potentially get a lot of teacher time.

The GT program starts for us in late K but it is only an "arts and craft" kind of thing 1 1/2 hours a week.

So, just thought I'd clarify that we are still in the "considering" camp for HS for next fall. We're going to try it some this summer and see how it goes and how well we get along (which is the sticking point for us). Son said today that "I'd learn more at home but it would be more boring because I'd only have you to play with". I've been following (well, I get everyone confused but other than that!) this discussion with interest. And, tomorrow I am joining a local homeschool group that has a gifted group within it. Their board had a special vote to let me in because we are not "currently homeschooling".

Boy, I really rambled. Hope I didn't throw this off topic.