Originally Posted by Kriston
Yup, sounds like GT denial to me. DYS numbers on verbal still counts, you know! smile

Killing that love before he gets to the higher math and engineering stuff is my greatest fear. I have my bad days, but I'm sure I'm doing better about keeping it alive than the public school did.

How your DS does on the WJ-3 might surprise you. When our DS took it, it certainly surprised me! If your son is doing algebra, he's *way* ahead of what our DS was doing, and still our DS scored at the DYS-level or above on 3 of the 4 broad areas that DYS looks at. Math was the only one he was below on, and he missed that by just one point, with no real effort on our part or the school's part to challenge him in math. (I'm verbal, so the verbal challenge stuff came naturally to me. Math...not so much!) Anyway, your son is young enough that just because he hasn't gotten it at school, it doesn't mean he's not getting it. You know?

Today, I gave DS the surveys from "RE-forming Gifted Education." He did the subject ones. Of course, science came out nearly 4.0. Arts came out low motivation lol. He hasn't completed the reading one yet. Interestingly, math came out low motivation (2.31). I asked him about this and he said b/c there isn't anything to learn about math beyond addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. I wonder if he thinks this b/c for him, he's been doing this for 3yrs and haven't seen much of anything else at school. I really want to work on his math motivation this summer. He scored low (2.80) on "attitudes about school and learning" as well. The motivated about school range is 2.67-3.33 while highly motivated is 3.34-4.00. Not below the lowest score range but near the bottom of it.

All of this from a kid who used to ask me math problems before bed and make up his own math problems for himself. He was always very intense about learning new things.

the scales are 4 (always agree), 3 (usually agree), 2 (sometimes agree), and 1 (disagree).
Schools is the best place for me to learn. 2.
School excites me. Every day is great 2.

So I guess this begs the question - if he doesn't feel that school is the best place to learn, why is he spending 7hrs/day 5days/week there?

About denial....uh well blush I'd prefer to think I'm in denial rather than I'm right. Ha Ha Ha.

I think WJ will have to wait until summer when DS has more free time. Plus the psych was having knee problems and contemplating surgery. He's not returned my calls to regarding score recalc and scheduling the WISC and it's been a month already. I guess I'll leave another message this week.

Thanks for helping me to think through all this and being a sounding board as well as giving advice!

Never enough time Dazey