So, incidently and a bit off-topic, I also realized today why getting evaluations through the school is just generally not really worth it and not a good idea.

We got DS's progress report and he got all Ss ("strongly in place and exceeds benchmarks" highest grade) and PHs (Highly Proficient" second highest grade) - all of his grades went up if they could. Lots of Ss this time. However, under the "qualities of a learner" he went down in two places: 1) "active listening;" and 2) "listening skills" Last quarter they were both the symbol that was "satisfactory/meets expectations." All last the year same - satisfactory/good. We get a a school psych eval that shows there may be "attention issues" (i.e. NEPSY) and suddenly this semester he is marked under listening skills categories as "needs improvement." My first thought was - well that is so odd - he went up across the board (that is where he could go up and where he was already up he stayed that high) in all his real subjects but his listening skills went down? So, either he doesn't need to listen to understand the subject matter and maybe that's why he is "not listening" or he is listening quite well (after all, he is learning and progressing) and the teachers can't tell?

I think they got the school psych report, saw the comments on attention and started grading accordingly. I guess I am too negative/pessimistic. I will not fuss about it...It's not a "real" grade anyway and I will be taking DS to a neuropsychologist (who appears to have very good skills in detecting when a child has been misdiagnosed with adhd and when a child has it). But even though the school psych was nice- I realize that the school testing really didn't help or give me any real answers and may only be creating bias against DS in some ways.

Last edited by marytheres; 03/15/13 03:04 PM.