Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
[quote]
They are behaving in a retaliatory fashion. Let them know that such a thing-- you know, IF such an unfortunate thing were ever to :cough-cough: take place-- would be illegal, and grounds for a complaint with OCR. How unfortunate if this "misunderstanding" were to escalate.

I almost did this with the para comments. I almost threw in there that such comments would be troublesome legally. But I am really trying to hold off on "threatening" because I know people really hate to be threatened. I did let them know casually in the last IEP mtg that I am lawyer and am finding this area of law quite fascinating.... I usually hate to tell anyone I am lawyer so they hadn't known until recently - I let it "slip" because I want to get the point across that lawyers are not at all afraid to take matters into the legal realm and I am no exception. I am hoping that this knowledge will mean they will be more careful about how they behave. Now this area of law is not my area of expertise at all but I can find a good attorney to help me out, I am sure, if I need to start a Complaint. I am taking some CLEs on the subject, too.

I am particularly sensitive about these Paras - that was the problem last year - my poor DS was left with a bitch of a para who also shamed him for not being able to write well or do fine motor activities fast enough or well enough (back then he didn't even have accommodation under his 504). My son was unrecognizable after being left with her. He was a nervous wreck. Similar to your situation, Pemberly, the para was "talked to" and made to apologize but then kept up with the comments under her breath, etc. and anyway I think it was far too late at that point to fix the situation. I had to raise holy hell to get DS away from her and the difference was so drastic the teacher admitted in a 504 meeting and apologized we let it go on so long.

Incidently, this district has been sued before. In 2005 for how they treated a dyslexic student. They ultimately had to pay for the child to go to a private school for LDs (very expensive one) and also had to cover the transportation costs to and from the school, the school also had to reimburse the student for evals and tests, etc. Unfortunately, I never want it to come to that because you could tell from reading the case that poor child just deteriorated year and after year and I am not sure if anything can make up or catch that kid up from that experience. But the school was punished severely.

Last edited by marytheres; 03/15/13 12:14 PM.