Originally Posted by master of none
Yeah, it's something to be concerned about but I wouldn't have handled it that way. I would have talked directly to the aide who probably does not have all the info shared at the IEP meeting and discuss with her your hopes and dreams for your son--that you wish he didn't have a disability but he does and that you don't want his disability to hold him back from learning and that you appreciate her patience with him because lots of times with an invisible disability, it's hard for people to believe. And if she has any questions, please feel free to talk to you or the teacher. And BTW, you hope he won't need an aide by 4th grade when he'll be independent (typing).

I was going to approach her myself but then I though about a few things. One, I may get too emotional and then I look like I am attacking some unsuspecting para; two, I thought it was serious enough that this needed to be put in writing to the teacher and the principal - I wanted a record of my complaining about it in rational and proper way to the principal and teacher. Thirdly, para may just roll her eyes when I walk away but if she is called into meet with her boss she will take the situation more seriously. Finally, If the problem really just lies with the policy of training and educating paras then that needs to be addressed for all children like ours that need accommodations.