You all are so wonderful. I am so grateful. Thank you so much. People without childen who are 2e just do not get it. The advice I have gotten here is invaluable. I incorporated pretty much all of it into a response email to the teacher and the IEP team. I pointed out that The entire reason teacher has problems with the implementation of the IEP is because she is actually not even folllowing the IEP correctly. DS is suppose to have a scribe with "multiple sentences" not when he "feels fatigued" or when teacher or someone else "notices fatigue" or when he "asks for help." If an assignment or an assessment has "multiple written sentences" he is to have a scribe. I then went on to add that I am, however, most definitely in favor of making the IEP more specific. I pointed out that back in October, I wanted the accommodation to read, "Provide a scribe for written assignments of more than two sentences." And I said I think if we change the wording it should be changed to something like that - a specific amount of sentences.

I went on to argue how symptoms should not determine the use of accommodations. And that they are basically requiring that he work to the point of failure before he is provided the needed support to allow him to access the curriculum.

I added with regard to the working ahead issue in math, that any work that DS is offered or allowed to do should have the accommodations attached. His work should be accessible to him whether it's "enrichment" or required work. I posed the question "Is there math challenge he can do on the computer that won't cause him to have to write it?" And then I wrote this: "However it works out, he needs to have equal access to the same work that the other kids have access to--without his disability. Please remember, his disability is neuromuscular - it is very physical; and he has a right to enrichment in math despite the fact that he has a neuromuscular disability affecting his hands."

I can't understand why they are doing this. His congenital hypotonia was not in question with the re-eval ... dyslexia and dygraphia were. Why the accommodations for his hypotonia are suddenly on the table I don't know.

Last edited by marytheres; 03/11/13 07:53 PM.