Originally Posted by Cathy A
BTW, I highly recommend Linfield for gifted students. I was a young college student and it was a great fit for me. There is a lot of personal attention from professors including student/professor research collaborations (I was a coauthor on a paper with my physics prof), an honors program where honors students do a thesis project with an advisor and then present it to the school (I did mine on fractals smile ), and a great international program for study abroad opportunities in several countries (I went to Austria.) I had a full-tuition honors scholarship--my family paid room and board for me.

(Sorry to put all this college discussion on a kindergarten thread! They do grow up fast, but not THAT fast!)

Ah, another Northwesterner! I like Linfield a lot too. In fact, I think almost all small liberal arts colleges are great fits for gifted young adults because they have lots of opportunities to be truly mentored by smart dedicated faculty. My DH and I met at another small liberal arts college in the NW and also went on to get graduate degrees at UCB. WE were apalled by how their undergrads (especially freshman) were taught there compared to what we had received (and we can say that because we were the ones teaching the UCB undergrad courses! My DH's advisor told him not to waste his time preparing classes because he had more important things to do.)

And you make a good point about the scholarship money. Really smart kids and ones with high financial need rarely pay anywhere close to the sticker price at a liberal arts college. So don't let the list price frighten you.

Last edited by acs; 04/25/08 10:48 PM.