Originally Posted by gtmom
I just wanted to add, as a mother of gifted children and a 1st grade teacher, that I feel that it is my job to meet eac child in my classroom at their level, especially in reading. I have 2 PG students in my class now and feel that I have been very successful at enriching their ed. this year. They have made tremendous progrgess and learned a little common sense and social skills as well. I often see gifted students whose parents want to skip them a grade (or 2), but do not realize that their education should be tailored to where they are anyway. These students also often need to be with same aga peers to learn social skills.

To be honest I really cannot see how my son could be in the 1st grade classroom while still being taught math on his level, which is currently 4th grade in K and will be at the very least 4/5th next year. How about his spelling? He can spell as an average 4th grader too. How about his reading and science? No offense, but no matter how much I try I just don't see how this could work. I think it's pretty much impossible to teach such children and still teach the rest of the kids who are years behind academically.

I am glad that there are 2 PG in your class (quite a rarity unless you are a gt teacher) at least they have each other. As for no skipping, I highly recommend reading Nation Deceived.

http://nationdeceived.org/

LMom