Kindergarten was a hell year for my child. I had read that many gifted kids do fine in K...not mine. It was an all day program so I think half-day likely would have been OK. My poor boy would sob nearly every night how boring his day was, how he didn't learn anything. He was so excited to go to school to learn all these cool things. Honestly, it was my fault. We were doing all this fun chemistry and physics and math and rich literature at home and he thought he'd get more at school. The teacher sent him out for reading group. they found 2 other boys who were near his level but according to DS they were several levels below. So
on he started reading chopping as they were due to choral reading. Man it was a hell year.

The saddest thing ever was after 1st grade orientation, I told him to make sure he continues to tell me how he feels about school. He looked at me and said, "Why? It didn't do any good last year. There was nothing we could do." I felt so helpless.

First was better but second hasn't been so good. Apparently, a lot of time is spent in second reviewing everything he either knew before 1st grade or learned at the first exposure in 1st grade. It's not until now they've hit "new" stuff but DS got it the first day in class but still had to do worksheets every night for 3 more nights incrementally extending the topic each time when he didn't need any of them. He goes get challenge math problems but that's not enough.

Granted, a lot of it is due to my son's personality. he hates repetition of any kind and just always want to be learning something knew.

I've been told 3rd grade gets better but honestly don't hold out much hope.

I think spending half a year in K, moving to 1st for the 2nd half, and then moving on to 2nd would have worked out fine for him.

I have another entering K in the Fall. Different kid for sure but just as advanced as his older brother. sigh....