Disclaimer: My son went through public school and my goal for him was to be a 'good citizen' no matter what the personal cost. I figured that he was bright, but didn't see what difference that made. Ouch!

Originally Posted by JBDad
Grinity,

Just curious... shocked in what way? In terms of what they cover related to what our son may already know? Or in terms that they do get into more details that we're picking up from the published circulum?

JB
LOL JB -
There so much to be shocked over - it will vary depending on your expectations.

Here are some likelies -
1)How little new material will be availible for your child
2) How much time is spent on stuff that looks dull and easy
3) How appropriate the material is to most of the children in the classroom
4) What the other kids consider fun
5) How the children and teachers treat children who 'don't fit in.'
6) How the other children aren't expected to have any abstract thoughts
7) How arbitrary the rules are, and accepting the children are
8) How much of a time waster school that's taught below readiness level is for a child.
9) how much variety there is between teachers in the particular of - how do they react to ideas that they may not have thought of before. You want a teacher who treats a child with love and respect even when feeling 'a bit insecure.'
10) How much built in flexibility there is - are some children allowed to go up a grade for their reading or math times?

Now - I don't know how you will feel while observing, but my hunch is that your 'internal gauge' of how far from normal you kid actually is could use some tuning - mine sure needed to be at that stage. It isn't that schools are bad. It is that some children just are at a different place then they are expected to be. And the most chilling thing is that typically teacher don't see more than the iceburg's tip, if that much.

Best Wishes,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com