Originally Posted by calizephyr
Acs, I work at a college, so it's all in terms of reports. Reports that state that there's more of a population of students at college age right now (a bubble so to speak) and more students than ever apply and go to college than ever before-- these are two of the large driving forces.

I am aware there are decent colleges that students can get into; according to all the info I have read, it's expensive, so the colleges that offer the most aid or are the lowest price are getting the students, and the decent small liberal arts colleges are getting less students due to cost. So from what I have seen it is not due to name branding, it is due to cost. (I am at a state school so we are certainly the best date in town)

Thanks, and, yes, that makes sense. It's a larger issue of who is trying to get into college and how they are going to pay for it. State schools are overfull while private colleges (especially the ones without name recognition) are struggling to fill all their seats.

My affiliations are all with small liberal arts colleges so I'm seeing all these empty seats in schools that are very strong academically so it surprises me to see a comment about the shortage of slots. The real issue is money; in-state tuition, scholarships, etc. If every kid could just go wherever they would thrive academically without worrying about paying for it, then we wouldn't have this problem. Is that right?.