Hi JBDad:
We did skip K. Here's my son's story in a not so small nutshell:

Jan 2006, son was eligible for K entry in Aug 2006. We realized his abilities had already passed K expectations. Had him privately tested, confirmed this and had a report that said "he's already mastered all K curriculum."

March, 06: I attended the K orientation/registration. Was made painfully aware that the K curriculum would be a repeat of preschool/daycare - I mean REPEAT. And we were already having behavioral issues at daycare which I finally connected to his level of boredom. DH and I decided that for our child skipping K would be best. We decided this based on his personality (at the time very routine oriented, rigid expectations, highly emotional and intense) and his past experiences (daycare/preschool setting) and his ability/achievement scores.

June 2006: we had him privately tested at U of Iowa because the school refused to test before he was attending K. We felt quite strongly that K attendance would be setting him up for behavior problems - again, based on my son's personality and needs. We felt that starting K and then transitioning to 1st would be harder for him than just skipping K.

August 2006, two weeks before school was to start: met with school and reviewed the private testing report. Son had also been briefly assessed by the school psychologist the day before (at my insistence because no one at the school had even *met* my son yet wanted to make placement decisions!). We were prepared for a fight, but the principal opened the meeting and then announced that the staff was in agreement with skipping K. Basically the private report stated that K attendance would require "significant differentiation of curriculum" and I believe that the K teacher couldn't/wouldn't do that.

Today, he is finishing up 2nd grade, but in 3rd for math this year. We are looking for further differentiation and compacting next year, but not more skipping right now. It has been a good placement for our son, at our rural school. We are glad he skipped K and wouldn't do it any differently if we had to do it over.

Hope our experience helps you to make the right choice, although Carolyn "Hoagie" will tell you that you really sometimes need to choose the "least worst educational option" and be happy with that. There often isn't a "best option" for these kids. Best of luck. I'm sure you'll find the best answer. Advocate assertively, gently, persistently. It pays off. And remember that no one knows your child as well as you do.