Thanks for that article link, Val. Nice to see someone digging at some distinctions and neuroscience between them.

I've been imagining another angle from the G/T side which is heavily mediated/selective attention. Thinking of it as an odd payoff. So, for myself, I don't have a strong base level attention for everything. Many things don't rise to the level of interesting. Interesting, solvable, all these things seem to fire up my norepinephrine to extreme levels. If I can get a frame of reference to find something interesting, then no holds barred on level of attention.

Positing something like a neurotypical mind floats between a 30 to 70% engaged attention level. A fully mediated attention goes from 0 to 100%. At a 100% working memory becomes vast and fluid, things get remembered "forever" and interesting things happen.

Following through this pseudo-thought exercise, other hitches in the distractable (or as mentioned processing to fast range) is that new tangents of thoughts can fire with a higher level of curiosity which pulls the attention train down that novel rabbit tunnel.