Originally Posted by JonLaw
Originally Posted by kelly0523
This blog article is exactly why I have sat paralyzed and doing nothing for my DD8. Every time I try to approach the possibility of her being gifted at school, the administrator and teachers make me feel like Alexis' mom, even though my daughter DOES score 99% on the NWEA in Kindy, 1st, 2nd, and now 3rd. And is self accelerated in reading, math, language arts, etc... It is a shame that parents of intelligent children should be made to feel like morons for trying to advocate for their kids to be able to have the academic advantages that they deserve.

Are you saying that they are not accepting that she is gifted?

I am saying that they won't even discuss the possibility with me. If I mention the word gifted or accelerated, they tell me that she is bright and doing just fine. Yes, I know she is bright and doing just fine, but her NWEA test scores show me that she knew the entire 3rd grade curriculum in Sept, so I am not sure what they are expecting her to actually "learn" in 3rd grade. I am having her formally tested in Feb, so I will take those results and work from there.

ETA: There is no gifted legislation or funding in my state, so the Public schools are reluctant to test or identify the gifted/accelerated kids, IMHO, because any type of acceleration inside the classroom would require a curriculum change for individual students and would come out of their own budget money.

Last edited by kelly0523; 12/28/12 03:44 PM.