Originally Posted by moomin
I'm perfectly happy to hear, "My child has a 185 IQ." In that case I know what to do as a teacher, especially if I'm notified before the child becomes a behavior problem. On the other hand, being told in December that the reason a child has just done something egregious is that he or she is just. so. gifted...

I don't have an IQ score yet on my son (I have an upcoming meeting where I will get some information not sure how helpful it will be, will probably seek out additional private testing). But at the beginning of the school year I asked for a parent teacher conference and brought in a shopping bag with a good sampling of the books that my son read over the summer (which was over a book a day and he also was very active in his sport over the summer so he wasn't sitting around reading all day long). And they (he has two teachers) didn't give me the usual bull that I get from teachers "yes but did he comprehend all these books 4 grade levels above 2nd grade?? and that is why we are going to completely ignore what you are telling us" instead they listened and responded by making appropriate accomodations...(didn't hurt that both of them are taking classes to become gifted certified and later they told me that my ds is the poster child for the gifted child and they are trying out everything they learn in class on him).

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary