DD started Montessori at two. The classroom was set up for kids 3 & under (the 3 year olds were ones who turned 3 during the semester) and it really had a great mix of pretend play/toys and simple Montessori work. The kids never had set work periods at that age so they could choose to play with the work or the toys.

The Montessori works did have to be handled with respect and done in the proper way (of course, within that child's ability) but the child could choose whatever work they wanted and play with it as short or as long as they wanted.

DH and I both spent some time in the classroom with DD at that point and the kids handled it very well. If they just wanted to play they could but if they wanted to do work they could do that too. The way I see it is that children learn a level of respect for certain items. At home DD can play with her toys however she wants BUT she can't do the same with the couch, or the TV remote. They have a specific purpose and can't be used for whatever game she wants. To me the Montessori materials are the same way.

Certainly, as kids age the setup changes. When she went to the 3-6 classroom she had more materials, more options but she also had more responsibilities and had to handle those items with care. I don't really see that as a big difference to life at home. If I were home with her all day she'd still have to pick up her toys when she's done with them, put them away, help clean when it's cleaning time (or go grocery shopping when it's time for that etc). Some objects she'll only be allowed to use in a certain way (the toilet is NOT a toy!). So I see the Montessori method as setting up those boundaries and it's a gradual process.

It takes awhile for a child to learn that and for a 2 year old (no matter the intellectual ability) it's a hard lesson to learn. I'd suggest treating certain items as having a specific purpose. Especially ones that could get damaged or have safety issues (e.g. scissors are just used for cutting). However, there needs to be a lot of freedom when it comes to toys, pace, and what activities the child wants to participate in.