Originally Posted by Dude
It seems self-evident that students who go to calculus or beyond would have significantly greater retention of algebra. In the process of performing advanced math, they're constantly referencing, reinforcing, and applying those algebraic principles. Whether they go on to use algebra "daily" or not, those neural pathways are well traveled.

YES. Exactly. My retention of trigonometry is better than 99% of the population, as well, I'd guess. Why? Because I spent so many years doing statistics, advanced geometry, and calculus.

Besides, as MoN notes, how on earth are they defining "algebra"?? Because I can't imagine getting through a week without using a fair bit of what my daughter learned in Algebra I three years ago. I'm not talking about being a professional scientist-- I'm talking about figuring out consumer math challenges, budgeting, etc.

COLLEGE algebra? Well, sure-- I go longer in between using that stuff. But that is a straw man here, because this is about a push to remove Algebra I from Common Core graduation requirements. I vehemently disagree that such a thing is a good idea on any level.

If I student can't pass Algebra I (or, for that matter, four years of English composition), then perhaps that student needs a "modified diploma" instead. That's an option already for students with IEP's. I don't see a problem that needs fixing, here. confused

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.