Originally Posted by mom of 1
I don't think anyone is talking about changing Ivy League institutions (or their peers outside the Ivies) to lower their academic entrance requirements. However, if a student who has studied plumbing at his local vo-tech program and wants to get the next stage of certification so he can get a higher paying plumbing job drops out of high school because of Algebra 1, there might be a better solution from adjusting high school graduation requirements rather than adding to the roles of drop outs who already can't get the higher paying plumbing jobs.

I forget what the statistics were on state university students and how many were rquired to take remedial courses on entry. I'll go with the scientific term "boatloads". grin
Purely anecdotally, I will say that our local junior college has a higher percentage of students taking remedial math on entry (a course preparatory to college-lite algebra) than not taking it. With that in mind, I think the goal aimed for by making geometry and algebra 2 mandatory is probably not so much mastery as statistical sleight-of-hand in the School Grading arena.

"I love it when you two impersonate earthlings."