Originally Posted by Austin
Many vocational programs like surveying, welding, machining, etc etc have a very high math component. Algebra and working knowledge of geometry are REQUIRED.

Based on my experience working with less conceptually intelligent people (and by this I mean those who are generally not able to deal with theoretical aspects of math in any classroom environment), many people seem to develop enough math skills to do the jobs they want to do.

So, for example, if you have a person who really, really wants to learn how to do machining, such a person will apply themselves and eventually learn enough math to perform their job well.

Remember, everyone is generally able to learn specific mathematical skills, it just might take them a long time.

And by long time, I mean 5 years to grasp something that I could grasp in about 10 minutes.

Often being on the job for years is an excellent way to obtain sufficient vocational training to perform jobs rather than any kind of more formal vocational training.

If someone knows what kind of job they like to do, they will generally find a way to work around or deal with any intellectual limitations.