I have seen a few LD schools that say their students are "above average to superior" intelligence but there is a different feel to reading about schools that specialize in 2E kids. Whether public or private it is clear that they "get it". I mean really, really G-E-T it. I am just so exhausted from constantly explaining, arguing, advocating for DD's unique needs. It just seems it would be so nice - better for her and easier for me - to just plug into a program designed by people who understand that 2E is not JUST LD or JUST gifted. The 2 things create a whole new situation that is not just part one and part the other. Does this make sense?

Yes DeeDee the year has started. It is clear that there are a few people in the district who are indeed trying to redeem themselves. The new DSS, although only interim, asked to stay with the case to make sure everything is properly addressed. The new SW is going out of her way to address DD's anxiety and make me feel comfortable with the school situation. The new director of Pupil Personnel Services seems to want to make this work - she came in when it was at its worst and I think recognized just HOW badly it was handled. So yes, there is an attempt to make it work.

Unfortunately despite the best intentions of these 3 no one seems to actually GET IT. I mean really, truly understand what DD needs. Yes, they instructed the principal and teacher to remove the color chart from DD's classroom. But they didn't understand WHY - or else it was simply letter of the law compliance without any true intention of addressing the issue. They kept the same bees (if you recall the teacher planned to use a "Bee-Havior" chart with each child being a bee who is moved through different color hives) but instead of colors the teacher is using checkmarks next to the children's names. Basically one check equals yellow and 2 checks equals red. Everything else about the system remained exactly the same. No change whatsoever. So not only is it basically a "black and white chart" as another parent put it but it is actually the most punitive form of it. If a child does something wrong they are sent to the board to put a check next to their name so the entire class sees "the walk of shame." Also there is no way to earn your way back - i.e. no way to erase a check once you earn one - like the systems that do not allow a child to earn their way back to green. Totally a negative system - no positive reinforcement, no incentive to improve. The best you can do is the starting point so the only way to move is down.

Last week DD was telling me about her first day in reading pull-out for the year and said "I want to fill all my color charts with red this year." When I asked what she meant she said "Oh, I mean sticker charts with stickers. I wonder why I said color charts..." She then went on the explain the checkmark system in her classroom and to tell me that she thinks they have that instead of a color chart because of her "because I shouldn't be around color charts." I asked who told her that and she said "No one - it's just my suspicion." So my 7 year old made the connection between these 2 systems but none of the adults in the school could? Really?

We were also having issues with homework differentiation. Unless something is spelled out - crystal clear - they just don't get it. I mean you have a kid with so many LD issues, you are supposed to be providing a para in addition to about 10 hours a week of pull out (no para yet but supposedly coming soon), we are awaiting an assistive technology eval - and common sense doesn't tell you that she can't write down her own homework assignments? Or that you need to assure that she is clear on what you want her to do with that worksheet that has no instructions on it? Or to make sure that worksheet is appropriate for her with all the LD issues? Literally every single thing has to be explained and regulated. There is no basic understanding of her needs or of WHY what she needs is different. It just gets so exhausting - is it any wonder a dedicated 2E school or program sounds so appealing?

They have provided DD with a pass - which was supposed to be included ever since the first IEP was drafted but was never actually made available last year - for DD to leave class and visit the SW when she starts to feel overwhelmed. No enrichment in place though. There were supposed to be "enrichment/anxiety" breaks but they haven't been able to figure out how to make them work so have asked to wait until the next IEP meeting to implement them. We said no, but as of yet, still no enrichment breaks. All of these things would be automatic in the 2E programs I have read about. Built in breaks, kinesthetic components to the classroom, built in enrichment, AT, etc, etc, etc.

Has anyone tried adding LD to a good private or gifted work to a dedicated LD school? I just can't believe that some smart, dedicated educators haven't recognized the need for more of these programs.