Is it really possible that there are so few? My mind is racing with the idea of how to make this work. My mother lives only a few subway stops from The Lang School and we are close enough that I could - technically - go stay there with DD M-F and come home on weekends. It would mean a total disruption to family life as well as being expensive and exhausting but there may a way to actually get her what she needs.

I am thinking my current options are

a) keep battling with the school district who I think *wants* to meet her needs but just doesn't get it and would have to reinvent the wheel for her

b) cobble together something with OOD placement locally involving either adding spec ed to the really great private I found or gifted education to a dedicated LD school

c) find some yet to be discovered nugget of gold in the form of a school no one seems to know exists

d) somehow convince the district to provide spec ed services while I homeschool/unschool the giftedness

e) find a way to make it work at this already existing gem just a couple of hours away.

Ironically of the half dozen or so school districts I have found nationwide that currently have established 2E programs I grew up up in one, DH grew up in one and his parents and siblings all currently live in one. It's frustrating to be so enticingly close to something that could work...