Thank you all. I finally got a chance to check back in on this thread. I appreciate all your input. It does help so much!

Unfortuntely, we don't have school figured out like I thought this year. My son is giving push back on leaving the GT school now. He is afraid the honors program will be too easy....ughh. He's also worried about leaving friends he just made last year at the GT school (even though he has just as many friends at the local middle school since he's be doing activities locally.) Sadly, he's afraid of the "perception" of him leavimg and what the kids still in his GT class will think.... He's such a worrier. He's been saying he's worried he "won't get into a good college" or that he "needs to do this and go to an early college H.S.or IB high school or he won't get a good job someday." Yikes! I am really worried about the stress he's put on himself. We've told him repeatedly that these concerns are not something to have at 11yrs old but it's not getting through... We've reassured him that it's about life balance and his childhood only happens once.
My husband and I have been very careful with our discussions and what we've said to him about this school decision. So I don't think it's based on what we are also worrying about.
We are three weeks from the beginning of school and he's an emotional wreck who refuses to make the decision.... So he wants us to "pick" and either way I think he's setting us up.