Hi All,
I am having a terrible time with my DS11's decision for 6th grade. Would love some advice.

He's 2E, HG. He's gone to a full time gifted program since 2nd grade and it has been tremendous. Except for this year..... We moved to another state and he started in their GT program. It's housed in an inner city school, bus ride over 1 and 1/2 hrs and the work is sometimes "busy" work not quality GT stuff.

So after a year there he has decided to make the transition to the home middle school honors program. He's made some local friends that are also GT and going to the local middle school.

I am devastated. My husband says it's become more about me than my DS. Maybe he is right. I just feel like we have this chance to get a more rigorous education and what was the point of the last 4 years GT if he's giving up on it. Now he'll be limited to early college high school options, IB, etc. if he comes to the local school. Realistically, I may not be considering his 2E enough to realize he probably isn't early college material, due to his focus issues.

To be fair our local high school and middle school are top notch. Known in the area as major college prep type environment. Academics are very much promoted there.

I just can't help feeling like we are giving up and feeling like some of the other moms/kids still in the GT program are going to think he couldn'd handle it, etc.

I know I am wrong....just can't get past it. He loves the kids in the GT program and always fit well. He got straight A's in the program so it wasn't tough. The homework was an issue at night and that is what finally made my husband say enough is enough. My son struggled to concentrate at night and do the homework without major support. He wasn't medicated at night either and was tired because he also plays sports, piano, scouts....

Second, and this is the one I know I really have an issue with..... Guilt over not homeschooling.... We have new neighbors that have moved in and the mom will be homeschooling. I am feeling so inferior. I know I can't handle doing this with my 5 kids (probably all GT and a couple 2E.) I feel like I'm failing them because they would get a better education here at home. This mom has no particular reason to homeschool other than she wants to see her kids more. How can I "own" what works for our family and get past not providing the ultimate learning environment for my kids?

Thanks
spirited mama