Originally Posted by alee31
A former elementary teacher sitting next to me...immediately became hostile and defensive. "Actually, it's the kids in the MIDDLE who are overlooked in the schools. Teachers are REQUIRED to focus on special ed kids and gifted kids. It's the LAW." She then began some rather hostile questioning of what schools we had tried, which schools we had talked to that would not allow acceleration, etc. etc. VERY defensive in general regarding how she was "required" to pay attention to gifted kids or she would be "in trouble legally." Almost as if to say, "How could you dare question that I'm not capable of teaching your child?!"

YIKES. I was SO uncomfortable...wanting to avoid the conversation all together, but couldn't really do it in the setting I was in.

I'm sorry. I had the same experience with a friend who is a former teacher. I have come to the conclusion that she took our family's decision very personally. Happily, most people don't.

My "friend" went so far as to say that there's nothing wrong with a child being bored for 2 years. My conclusion is that people tend to say dumb things when they don't know what they're talking about. (I'm guilty of it, too, I know!) I can't imagine my friend really believes that 2 years of learning zilch is okay. But even if she really does, it's because she has no concept of GTness. It's just foreign to her.

How that teacher you spoke with came up with her questionable legal understanding, I don't know, but she clearly just doesn't get it.

Oh, and one of the big reasons we pulled DS6 out of 1st grade was because his 1st grade teacher didn't just imply, she flat out stated that she felt I lacked confidence in her teaching ability, though I had been playing "team" to the best of my ability. That teacher probably sounded to you like she meant that because she DID mean that! I do sympathize, because it must be challenging to have someone questioning--even gently!--how you're doing your job. But while it's their job, they're our kids! Teachers who don't get that worry me.

Hang in there. I'm sorry it was a rough day for you! frown

Kriston