Originally Posted by st pauli girl
I'm going to throw it out there that 2 hours of homework for k might be based on what would take the average student in that class to do. Although I think that much homework for K is absurd, perhaps your child could really do it in 1/2 hour. But if the school is advertising this homework, I'd question the flexibility of this school anyway.

I agree strongly with SPG that the homework seems like a badge of honor thing, and that doesn't spell flexibility to me.

I'd also add that while some HG+ kids breeze through homework/busywork quickly, many do NOT! My DS6 took FOREVER to complete the easiest assignments because he was simply too bored to be bothered. It took us a good hour of my prodding every night to get him to finish his "a is for apple" homework from his age-based 1st grade class, and the homework was minimal: just the stuff he didn't finish during class time (because he was bored with it). It should have taken a few minutes at most, but it was like pulling teeth with him.

We now cover easily 10x the material at a much harder level in the same amount of time for home school. Easy doesn't always mean quick.

OTOH, what if the homework is actually hard stuff for your DS? If the average kid takes 2 hours, that means it will take longer for somebody! HG+ kids don't learn everything at the same speedy rate, so chances are there will be at least a time or two when he's the slowpoke. So how much is too much?

And besides, I have to ask the question the schools always ask us: if the child is in class 7+ hours per day and has MORE schoolwork to do when he gets home, when does he get to be a kid, to pursue his own interests, to read for fun or build with Legos or play kickball, to do his own thing?

A challenging educational environment is vital, but more material faster is not always better. I think SPG is right: flexibility and responsiveness to the child's individual needs is really vital, and I don't see that with 2 hours of homework and "maximizing potential."

I have to say, it sounds like a hothousing school to me.

Kriston