Originally Posted by newtothis
I am loving all of these stories! What a great group this continues to be!

It's bad that so many are struggling with the same questions (because I know how incredibly stressful they are to consider!) but it's so refreshing to know we aren't alone - and it's nice not to feel totally alone in the journey!

Can I just say AMEN?!! I am so grateful to this group - knowing there are others with the same kind of child as mine has been a huge, huge help to me and my husband.

Especially after today...

I was at a Mothers of Preschoolers meeting, sitting around a table of 8 or so women, when the inevitable discussion began. "So, where's DS going to kindergarten next year?" I briefly responded, "Well, after much consideration, we've decided to homeschool." Several people, said, "Cool!" or, "You're braver than I am!" or other polite comments.

However, one of DS5's teachers at our church was in the group, and began discussing/asking questions about him, specifically. "How did you teach him to read so well?!!" I responded, "We just did what most parents do, but it seemed to happen spontaneously. We really can't explain." That led into more and more questions about his specific abilities.

While I tried to answer respectfully, I focused on keeping my answers vague and brief. The discussion turned toward how the local schools will not be able to serve his specific needs, and why we ultimately are choosing to homeschool.

A former elementary teacher sitting next to me, who has supervised education students at the local university, also with a child about the same age as mine :), immediately became hostile and defensive. "Actually, it's the kids in the MIDDLE who are overlooked in the schools. Teachers are REQUIRED to focus on special ed kids and gifted kids. It's the LAW." She then began some rather hostile questioning of what schools we had tried, which schools we had talked to that would not allow acceleration, etc. etc. VERY defensive in general regarding how she was "required" to pay attention to gifted kids or she would be "in trouble legally." Almost as if to say, "How could you dare question that I'm not capable of teaching your child?!"

YIKES. I was SO uncomfortable...wanting to avoid the conversation all together, but couldn't really do it in the setting I was in.

What a relief to have this forum, with such beautiful open minds and intolerance for such hostility. smile