Funny. I was going to say: I have never actually read one of the fairy books! Maybe my disinterest helped her make them her own. She also used to enjoy scooby doo books read to her because of the predictable plot. If my husband, who is pg did not tell me to let her keep reading the same "stupid books," I would have never found their value. But it is true. I messed up my earlier post because I am typing with my thumbs, but little one went from a DRA of 18, which is end of first grade to a DRA of 38 which is end of third grade. This happed while she was a six year old and in first grade and mostly ONLY read those Fairy books. There MUST be something to them! And these tests look for reading fluency as well as comprehension and summarizing skills. So, these Fairy books taught all that! Lol. Okay, to be fair, she has read SOME other stuff. Like she got all interested in that surfer girl who lost her arm to a shark and read a fifth or sixth grade book on her. But that was short lived. I really DO think that if you let them read what they want, they like reading more. At three, your dd might like reading the shopping list to you. You can through some hard words on it. Instead of writing "apples" you can write "red, juicy, deliceous apples" and make it her shopping job to remind you what's on rhe list. So she doesn't feel like she is being quizzed on her reading abilities, but you can still keep tabs on how she is decoading. And another thing that my dd has loved for the past four years. Books on cd.