Originally Posted by ultramarina
LOL at lucounu--I have to kinda agree.

But, she could never read a late second grade leveled chapter book like a "magic treehouse" or "Ivy and Bean" book even though she could decode most of it. Those are a roadblock. Instead, we have gotten out some of her favorite picture books that are third grade or above.

Right. This is where my DS is, too--he could decode those books, probably (and he does pick up chapter books and read a paragraph here and there) but it's way too much for him to tackle now, which is fine. Picture books are amazing and span such a range. Honestly, I'm pleased as punch to be done with our brief stint in easy readers. I mean, I love Cynthia Rylant, but.

You are not the only one! I really like Arnold Lobel and "Little Bear", but the rest of those leveled books were just a means to an end. Cynthia Rylant is better than most. I really love Kate Dicamillo. Her "Mercy Watson" series has just the right amount of text on a page, and she uses great vocabulary. Words like--Porcine, Opinion, Crisis, Folly, Admire, Contentedly. DD seems to really pick up vocabulary faster when she reads the words herself.

I am not looking forward to the drivel that are those serial chapter books, but I understand their place as endurance builders. And, kids seem to love them.

Another idea along the lines of contests. Many libraries have summer book clubs. I know Barnes and Nobel has one as well. You only have to read 8 books for that one, which we'd accomplish in a day. So, instead I am going to pick some longer books for her to read me.

We also go to the book store about three times a week and read books. We sip a drink together and read. She begs to this.