I would just pick up some fun books and read them to her while you use your finger to follow the text. That got my DD who could read read books. We used late first grade leveled readers like "Frog and Toad." But...I do think that is how my phonics oriented girl became a whole language reader and now hates to have to sound out a word.

re: stamina--With DD3, stamina is always trailing behind the other reading skills. The second grade level books-- those books that are usually beginner chapter books like "Mercy Watson"-- overwhelm her, and I have to actually sit with her and guide her through. But, once she reads these thicker book to me she can pick them up and read through them. She remembers all the tricky words. That helps with confidence.

But, she could never read a late second grade leveled chapter book like a "magic treehouse" or "Ivy and Bean" book even though she could decode most of it. Those are a roadblock. Instead, we have gotten out some of her favorite picture books that are third grade or above. She has strabismus, so we know when she is having vision issues. Her eye turns out. So, in a way it has helped us to know her limits.

We also spell out long words to her orally. I wish she could write, but she is not there yet. But, I have heard of some kids spelling and writing before reading. Maybe, this is your DD's path.

Also, DD had a lot of fun reading her old "Wild Animal Baby" magazines. One day she read almost all 24. The text was simple but the words were big. They are meant for parents to read to babies. And, she was actually interested in reading to learn! So, maybe look into simple non-fiction.