Wow, your story is very similar to mine. I posted this message in another forum just 30 minutes ago...

All of the education books and classes and research that I have done in order to earn two masters degrees in education have done very little to help my son do well. Also, I am convinced that our education system has failed in the education of this very unique child.

My son is 13. He is 2.5 standard deviations above the norm and classified as gifted, and also identified as talented in theater. He is also ADD. For the past 3 years, this wonderful child has steadily plunged into the abyss of underachievement. I have tried everything reasonable. I have researched. Nothing has worked, and I fear that the future will not be any better. I am in an administrative position in a public high school and have staunchly supported our public school system. However, I found it necessary to remove my child from the public middle school and enroll him in a private school beginning next week. I believe that the teachers have failed to reach my son, refused to maintain weekly contact with me, and have treated him with disdain. I am disappointed, disillusioned and on the verge of giving up. What else can I do? I have never spoken ill of the teachers or school in my son's presence. I have researched, consulted doctors, colleagues, friends and family. I used the charts, motivation strategies and even punishment. (he has no access to television - except as family activity, video games, computer games etc..) I see his potential fading as he digs deeper into the pit of laziness and apathy.