Originally Posted by La Texican
If you're saying the jobs go to people who know people or to whom they can relate then maybe that's why so many articles suggest EQ trumps IQ when it comes to work. On the one hand if you have to work with someone you want it to be someone you can work with. Maybe the key is to focus on trying not to make people uncomfortable.

Ah, but it can be dangerous to spend your life focussed on making sure other people are not "uncomfortable." Perhaps smart girls need to learn to not use big words so they won't make the boys around them feel stupid? Been there, done that, and I admit it worked but the "success" wasn't very satisfying. Or maybe smart boys need to learn some manly sport they aren't interested in just so they will be more accepted by their peers and managers? Regardless of which is the wise move for "success", I do appreciate those who fight against what I see as unreasonable expectations of others to feel "comfortable." At this point in my life I prefer myself when I have the guts to speak the truth as I see it even if it makes others feel a tad uncomfortable. I find that those who stick around, in life or business, especially when we disagree honestly, are the ones worth having around. Very little in life is simple as we get older, eh? wink