hinotes, It sounds like public school was your first choice for your daughter, but her reaction to their lack of accommodation made you pull her out, right? Yet they can be very accommodating to those on the other end of the intelligence spectrum, and you witnessed this first hand. It certainly doesn't seem fair. I sure hope that public schools like yours become more accommodating of gifted children in the future.

It seems to me that the gifted children are the most likely to figure out the things that improve everyone's lives, and it would be in our best interest to help them reach their potential. Ultimately we can't answer the question about what schools should do without answering the question of what schools are for, and that's not the purpose of this thread. In fact, I'm not sure there's a place on this discussion board for that topic.

At any rate, I wish you and your daughter the best, and I hope that I find my public school accommodating of my kids' needs, whatever they might be.