Originally Posted by ABQMom
Originally Posted by Meercat
... judging from the CEO's I've met, a high IQ is far less important than a low golf handicap when it comes to who they listen to concerning major business decisions. Sadly, a bachelors in PE might have been the ticket in your quest for wealth. wink

Generalizations and blanket statements drive me crazy. Perhaps you should meet more CEO's. I'm one, and I don't even play golf.

Apologies. I wasn't meaning to offend with my teasing, and I certainly didn't intend for anyone to believe my statement applied to ALL CEO's (that would have blanketed my husband as well, and heaven knows he wouldn't know what to do with a golf club. smile )I was simply attempting to humorously show that there are obviously many paths to success, that following a certain path isn't a guarantee to success or wealth, and IQ is useful but isn't always necessary. I've seen situations where IQ can even be a hindrance in certain "Good Old Boy" business networks where SOME CEO's may feel intimidated by extreme intelligence and choose to trust people they feel more socially secure with.

Everyone wants to believe that if they work hard and follow the "right" educational path that the sky is the limit on how much money they can make, but everybody underestimates the amount of luck that factors in. You are lucky if you remain healthy, you are lucky if you were born into a family that can afford to send you to college or you are lucky if you were born with the intelligence to get a scholarship, or maybe you were lucky to simply be born looking this generation's definition of beautiful. Hard work can overcome a lot of these obstacles, and someone blessed with a high IQ or charm can "make" a lot of their own luck, but I'm not so sure we have as much control over our destiny as we like to tell ourselves.